The Howard Stern Show went off-air last week due to the covid19 pandemic.
The Stern Show is located in New York City, which is currently in lockdown. Governor Cuomo announced that all non-essential businesses would be shut down in New York state.
Stern returned to his SiriusXM show today by recording it from his home or as he calls it the “bunker.” Howard has had to find new and innovative ways to connect with his listeners now that most studios are shut down. Howard was on-air live during the 9/11 attacks, and many fans find his voice reassuring in uncertain times like these.
Howard will be on-air again, live from the bunker, at 7 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday on Howard 100, with rebroadcasts throughout the day.
Artie Lange has a new podcast called Artie Lange’s Halfway House. Artie recently had former Stern Show program director Tim Sabean on the podcast. They discussed their time on the Stern Show and also how CBS made Artie and Bababooey an offer to replace Stern on terrestrial radio back in 2004.
Sabean, Artie, and Lange’s co-host Mike Bocchetti were talking about how The Howard Stern Show went from FM radio to Sirius/XM satellite radio. That’s when Artie revealed that CBS wanted him badly to host his own radio show.
“This is one that hasn’t been discussed a lot at all,” Artie said. “Now for a year, we know we’re leaving regular radio.”
“I get a call from my manager one day, about a year before we leave for satellite,” Lange said. “They wanted me and Gary Dell’Abate — Baba Booey to leave Howard, basically to fuck him over.” CBS Radio executives including Westwood One CEO Joel Hollander wanted “The Artie Lange Show produced by The Howard Stern Show producer Gary Dell’Abate.”
“Being a man, it’s America, I have to find out about this offer,” Lange said. “So the offer was they wanted to give me $5 million a year, for four years, which was way more than I was making on Stern. And guaranteed money, by the way, it would have been $25 million if the show lasted a week.”
“Tim [Sabean] has the awful job of bringing that offer to me,” Artie said. “So I get this offer to fuck over Howard.”
“I immediately said no,” Lange said. “Gary immediately said no.”
“I don’t give a fuck about the money, I made a lot of money, Howard let me do whatever I wanted. I loved Howard,” Lange said on his podcast. “If Howard was giving me a buck a year, I wouldn’t do that to him.”
A one hour leaked tape from 2013 appeared on YouTube featuring Howard Stern giving a powerpoint presentation to show staffers on the show’s future and how to recruit celebrity guests. The event was called “The Summit: Revolution 2013: Where We’re Going And How We’re Getting There.”
“I want weekly an A-list celebrity on our show, and two times per week I want B-list celebrities,” said Stern.
SiriusXM reported 23-million subscribers in 2012, of which Stern claims 60%, about 14 million, listen to his show exclusively.
“I don’t know if that’s exactly right, but it’s what publicists should hear,” he said.
Stern then showed photos of six celebrities he says owe their success to him, including Adam Levine, Jon Stewart, David Letterman, Kathy Griffin and Jerry Seinfeld.
“Jerry Seinfeld had a show called The Seinfeld Chronicles that was about to go off the air. He used our show. Adam Levine owes us, man. Nobody was looking for him before The Voice.”
“Howard Stern Comes Again” is a combination of celebrity interview transcripts organized into subsections including Drugs & Sobriety, Money & Fame, “Religion & Spirituality, and Sex & Relationships. Howard Stern included 11 Donald Trump interviews, spacing them out chronologically from 1995 to 2015. There are 37 interviews in this book.
Howard’s book has received mixed reviews by fans. Here are some thoughts on “Howard Stern Comes Again.”
The book is 90% transcripts and 10% original content. I do like the “now a word from our president” sections. It shows that even though he disagrees with Donald, Howard can still find the humor in his previous visits.
I think the best chapter in the book is the Hillary chapter—again because of the honesty. He tried to get her and he couldn’t. It’s a little behind the scenes, a little “what if”, and a lot of entertaining. If the book had more of this then it’d be 5 stars. But it doesn’t. So three stars it is.
Eric from Good Reads gave it 3/5 stars.
As a long time Stern fan, I was expecting revelations and insight, but really the book is transcripts of great interviews with very light-hearted, not very insightful intros. I expected something more hard-hitting. If you’re looking to read interviews and gain a little insight into Howard without knowing much about him, it MAY be worth it, but as a long time fan, it’s nothing you don’t already know.
Colby from Good Reads gave it 2/5 stars.
If you understand that “Howard Stern Comes Again” focuses on transcripts of past interviews that you have probably heard before and Howard’s evolution as an interviewer then you may enjoy reading this book. That said, there is still enough new material in Stern’s introduction to each interview to make this worth picking up.
RadarOnline reported on Monday, April 15th, 2019, that Howard Stern announced his retirement from SiriusXM.
The media mogul shocked fans Monday morning, April 15, when he announced that he would be signing off The Stern Show after his contract is up in 2020.
“I’m getting out man. I’m pretty sure I’m almost out the door,” Stern, 65, told his longtime cohost, Robin Quivers. “I’m getting out anyway because I realize that radio is affecting my health. When I’m home on the weekends I’m fine.”
And then what happens?” Quivers asked.
“And then when I come here all kinds of shit happens. I won’t get into all the details, but I get all anxious, and medical issues. I’m getting out,” Stern doubled down.
“No really, I’m done,” Stern insisted. “Two years and I’m out of here.”
The next morning, April 16th, Stern came on the air and spoke about the matter first thing. He said some website (RadarOnline) quoted that he announced his retirement.
“That’s not how I am going to announce my retirement,” said Stern. It was strange to him that the news media does not look into stories like this anymore. “They used to have newspapers that had to call and check a source.” Two news stations picked up the story that he is preparing to retire in 2020. SiriusXM stock dropped by 3 cents on Monday and rebounded Tuesday after Stern cleared up the fake news.
Artie Lange released a new book on July 17, 2018, titled “Wanna Bet?: A Degenerate Gambler’s Guide to Living on the Edge.” Wanna Bet? is Artie’s third memoir which was co-written by Anthony Bozza, like the previous two.
A description of the book from Amazon:
The stories found in Wanna Bet? paint a portrait of a man who would just as quickly bet tens of thousands of dollars on a coin toss as he would a well thought out NBA or NFL wager. Along for the ride are colorful characters from Artie’s life who live by the same creed, from a cast of childhood friends to peers like comedian and known gambler Norm McDonald.
“I get the same jolt of adrenaline when I lose as I do when I win,” he insists. “That’s because when I lose, I lose big. My losses are like a huge ship passing by, trailing a wake of chaos, and there I am, having the time of my life, just an asshole on a Jet Ski catching air off the backwash.”
Howard Stern’s new book will reportedly be out Sept 25th and Artie Lange is curious to see how much of him is in it. “I’m curious to see what it is, you know. [Howard] is a master of marketing. Two chapters are supposed to be about me,” says Lange.”
“I failed upwards,” says Lange.” When the other comics were there, Gary went around and told everybody the only time Howard doesn’t want you to talk is when there’s a guest in.” Part of the job was writing jokes for Howard which Artie really wasn’t very good at. “I stunk at talking in his voice, I just couldn’t do it. I’ve always been like that, I can’t write for other people.” Lange, thinking he was going to lose the gig, gets called in by Howard and Gary. So being a failure at writing worked out for Artie because as he said, “I got to co-host the show.”
“Howard says, ‘Listen, none of the stuff you’re writing is working out.’” Artie apologized and was ready to get his things when Stern continued, “‘so I’m going to leave your mic on all the time.’” Both Lange and Dell’abatte were shocked.
“What??? Howard says, ‘No one else has that, even Robin’s mic I turn down sometimes, so the only two people’s who’s mic is going to be on all the time is me and you.’” Gary later said to Artie, “Art, you should be flattered because this show is everything to him and he’s putting it in your hands.”
As many of you probably already know, Alex Jones has been deplatformed on social media. Alex Jones’s Infowars.com news website is currently down (at the time this post) from an apparent “cyber attack.” Since our last post, Alex Jones/Infowars have additionally been removed by Pinterest, MailChimp, LinkedIn and porn sites like YouPorn. Big tech companies seemingly working together have now set a precedent banning Jones/Infowars for what they consider hate speech.
Within a 12 hour period, Alex Jones has been deplatformed from Spotify, Apple, YouTube and Facebook virtually simultaneously. Jones was excommunicated from the tech giants’ platforms following a pressure campaign from left-wing political activists and CNN. CNN even went on to publish an article today claiming Infowars.com is complicit in domestic terror.
“The stripping of InfoWars from Facebook, Apple and other platforms is an important step in the recognition of nativist, nationalist and white supremacist hate speech as a form of terrorism.”
Sadly, domestic terrorism, or Jones’ dangerous speech, in which he claims that he is in a holy war against Islam, is not prosecuted under that statute. This is a failing that has permitted the proliferation of platforms such as InfoWars, their presence on popular platforms a legitimization of sorts for their content.
This new decision is a step forward in recognizing that hate outlets, such as InfoWars, are complicit in domestic terror, and a relief to Muslim-Americans, like myself, who have been the target of online assaults and threats.” – Rafia Zakaria, CNN.
With Alex Jones effectively banned from the respectable face of the internet, viewers could still get his content on porn sites like YouPorn.
Not for long. YouPorn jumped on board the hate speech bandwagon late Monday. The site’s vice president Charlie Hughes issued a statement saying:
“Following news that YouTube, Spotify and Facebook have banned Alex Jones from their platforms, team YouPorn is joining in solidarity and announces we are banning his content as well. As one of the largest user-generated content platforms in the world, we have already removed his videos that have violated our terms of service. As an inclusive platform, hate has no place on YouPorn.”
If the powers that be decide to take it to the domain name registrar level, they could effectively strip Jones of the ability to even have his own platform on his own site, by taking away his domain name which is hosted by Name.com. This would not be the first time that a domain has been seized due to hate speech violations. White nationalists websites, The Daily Stormer and Stormfront, had their domains stripped for hate speech violations in 2017.
Microsoft has threatened to cease hosting services for the social media network Gab.ai over two anti-Semitic posts, according to an email published by Gab founder Andrew Torba. The email claims the posts violate Microsoft policy and requests that Gab “promptly take appropriate action to resolve the complaint within two business days” or hosting service will be suspended.
Founded as an alternative for users who were banned by Twitter and Facebook, Gab has long struggled to maintain infrastructure partners in the face of persistent hate speech complaints. Gab’s apps have been dropped from both the iOS App Store and Google Play Store, making the service largely unavailable on mobile devices.
In 2017, Gab was nearly dropped by its domain registrar over a series of posts that violated the provider’s hate speech policy. Could Infowars.com be next to have its domain stripped for hate speech? We think so.
YouTube, Facebook, Spotify, Apple, Pinterest and now Vimeo have removed Infowars content from their platforms. Vimeo is the latest in a growing wave of tech companies to pull videos from former Howard Stern guest and fellow radio host, Alex Jones.
Vimeo suddenly found itself at the center of the on-going Infowars.com debate after the show was barred from a number of competing sites. Earlier in the week, it was host to a handful of Jones-produced videos, but that number jumped suddenly when north of 50 more were uploaded to the service on Thursday and Friday.
“We can confirm that Vimeo removed InfoWars’ account on Sunday, August 12 following the uploading of videos on Thursday and Friday that violated our Terms of Service prohibitions on discriminatory and hateful content. Vimeo has notified the account owner and issued a refund,” a spokesperson told TechCrunch.
The tech companies say they blocked Infowars not because of the conspiracy theories, but because, in Spotify’s words, Infowars “expressly and principally promotes, advocates, or incites hatred or violence against a group or individual based on characteristics.”
Facebook said they were shutting down several of Jones’s pages for “glorifying violence, which violates our graphic violence policy, and using dehumanizing language to describe people who are transgender, Muslims and immigrants, which violates our hate speech policies.”
“Apple does not tolerate hate speech, and we have clear guidelines that creators and developers must follow to ensure we provide a safe environment for all of our users,” adding, “podcasts that violate these guidelines are removed from our directory.”
Infowars is moving quickly from one platform to the next, as more sites remove their content over “hate speech” violations. Twitter remains steadfast in their decision not to remove Jones, for now.
Update: Jones’ accounts have also been suspended on Pinterest, MailChimp and LinkedIn.