DIRECTV Cancels The Artie Lange Show

DIRECTV has cancelled The Artie Lange Show, effective immediately, the comedian announced on the program’s last radio show.

Lange, a former sidekick on The Howard Stern Show, has hosted the sports and entertainment talk show on DIRECTV’s Audience Network channel since 2012. But Lange said Monday night that his three-year-contract was set to expire in five months and DIRECTV decided to pull the plug early. He said he was notified last Friday by his agent of the cancellation.

Lange did not offer a specific reason for the cancellation, but the comedian has been battling various personal health issues, including diabetes which caused him to be hospitalized earlier this month.

During his farewell speech on the air on Monday night, Lange noted that DIRECTV invested heavily in a new studio for The Artie Lange Show, but added that ‘business is business,’ suggesting the show is not generating sufficient ratings to stay on the air.

Artie Lange coming to TV on August 12th

The Nick and Artie Show gets a new studio, designed by the Man Caves show, a DIY Network program hosted by “licensed contractor” Jason Cameron and former NFL lineman Tony Siragusa that helps domesticated men turn a part of their homes into man-friendly hangouts.

Construction on that space finished two weeks ago, and The Nick & Artie Show is set to move in by the end of the month.

The new studio has all the trappings of a testosterone-laden man cave.

“They set it up so they have foosball games, a full kitchen, all this jazz,” said someone familiar with the studio’s design.

“It was an interesting deal,” said Mr. Peters. “[The space is] obviously a unique use, and that posed some unique challenges.”

The space will be used to both film and record Messrs. Lange and DiPaolo during their late-night show, which airs from 10 P.M. to 1 A.M.

They are going to launch the television part of the show on August 12th.